We develop practical solutions to reduce deaths and serious injuries on NSW roads. The way we develop and target our road safety campaigns, work with the community and design our roads and vehicles can greatly affect the outcome of road crashes in NSW.
We use the Safe System approach to reduce deaths and serious injuries. The approach aims for zero tolerance – that no death or serious injury on our road network is acceptable.
All about saving lives
Some of our main responsibilities are to:
- Collate and analyse crash statistics
- Assess speed camera effectiveness
- Develop and review speed zone policies to improve safety
- Allocate flashing lights outside schools across the state
- Produce road safety education material for schools and local communities
- Improve safety standards for new vehicles and promote safer vehicles
What we do
Some of our achievements include the Safety Town website, an online resource for students, teachers and parents, and the Child Car Seats website, where you can compare independent testing and rating of more than 200 types of child car seats.
The Community Road Safety Grants program allows community groups across NSW the opportunity to deliver localised safety projects.
Plans and partnerships
Our strategies and action plans outline how we aim to reduce annual road deaths and serious injuries by at least 30 per cent by 2021.
The Local Government Road Safety Program is our partnership with Roads and Maritime Services and local councils to raise the profile of road safety in NSW.
Our products include helpful publications and guides to improve road user education and behaviour.