Top 10 tips
- Find a safe spot to pull over such as an emergency breakdown area.
- Park your vehicle as far to the left as possible.
- Always activate your hazard lights.
- Activate your parking lights in poor light.
- Call roadside assistance on your mobile phone or use a roadside emergency phone.
- When leaving your vehicle always check for traffic.
- Leave your vehicle from the passenger side if possible.
- Avoid crossing the road at all times.
- Stand clear of the road. Move behind a safety barrier if safe.
- Stay in your vehicle with your seatbelt on if it’s not safe to leave.
Points to remember
- Check your fuel, oil, water and tyre pressures (including the spare) before a long journey.
- Carry a high-visibility vest, warning triangles and a torch inside your vehicle.
- Breakdown lanes are only for breakdown situations. Use a rest area for making social phone calls, toilet stops or attending to children.
Our Breakdown Safety Glovebox Guide and Breakdown Safety Strategy have more information.