Two in three car seats are not being used properly. If you have trouble fitting or adjusting your child car seat, visit an Authorised Restraint Fitting Station. All fitters are part of a specialist network and have been trained to:
- Inspect and adjust child car seats to make sure they are installed correctly
- Fit child car seats that require vehicle modifications
- Install more anchorage points
- Retrofit lap and lap-sash seatbelt
- Show you the correct way to use your child car seat so that you can be confident your child is safe
Don’t risk your child’s safety
There are more than 300 Authorised Restraint Fitting Stations across NSW. Most are garages or service stations that have child car seat fitting services. Some stations are in hospitals, others are in councils and some are attached to baby shops.
Fitting stations charge a fee based on labour costs and parts. Although costs can vary, most fees are within these ranges:
- Inspect and adjust child restraint, $20-$30
- Install or fit a child restraint, $35-$75
Restraint Fitters Manual
Our Restraint Fitters Manual (PDF, 2.6Mb) assists restraint fitters accredited under the Roads and Maritime Services Authorised Restraint Fitting Station Scheme in the correct installation and use of child car seats.
The manual has been developed by Transport for NSW in consultation with Crashlab, VicRoads and Neuroscience Research Australia. The manual applies to all types of light vehicles, except motorcycles.