The NSW Government's next world-class research and testing facility provides simulated open road and junctions for technicians to test new and emerging technologies.
The NSW Government is committed to making vehicles on NSW roads safer and has been providing a wide range of national research and commercial road safety testing services for more than 40 years.
The Road Safety Plan 2021 includes actions to support the development and uptake of new and emerging vehicle and other road safety technologies. To help deliver these actions, the NSW Government has established a new facility in Central Western NSW with the capability to test new and emerging vehicle technologies such as autonomous emergency braking, speed assist systems, communication between cars and traffic infrastructure, and the development of smart highways.
The new facility is on the site of a former airstrip at Cudal, about 30 minutes from Orange. It is set to become NSW’s next five-star safety testing facility, in addition to the established CrashLab facility at Huntingwood.
The Cudal facility provides simulated, open road and junctions for technicians to test technologies such as:
- Autonomous Emergency Braking – vehicle to vehicle systems
- Autonomous Emergency Braking - vulnerable road user systems
- Lane Keep Assist
- Speed Assist Systems
On-site facilities include:
- Extensive workshops, including three converted aeroplane hangers
- Extensive offices, fully serviced with amenities
- 24/7 on-site security
- 1.6km test track offering:
- Surface exceeding 0.9 friction coefficient
- Permanent lane markings to meet a range of tests requirements
- Longitudinal gradient at or below 1% and crossfall less than 2%
- Sufficient length and width for emergency run-off in case of failure
- Excellent drainage
- Artificial lighting to simulate night-time driving conditions.
Future plans for the facility will allow technicians to test and refine emerging technologies such as vehicle-to-traffic signal communications and complex vehicle-to-vehicle systems.
The Cudal facility is now available for bookings. Please email email@example.com with your expression of interest.