This video shows how our trial of new technology allows drivers to receive safety messages about upcoming hazards. Read a transcript.
Australia's largest C-ITS project
The Cooperative Intelligent Transport Initiative (CITI) is Australia’s first C-ITS testing facility. Based in the Illawarra region of NSW, the trial has fitted C-ITS technology to:
- Up to 60 trucks
- 11 public buses
- 2 light vehicles and 1 motorcycle
- 3 signalised intersections, broadcasting signal phase information to C-ITS equipped vehicles
- 1 portable roadside unit broadcasting speed limit information to C-ITS equipped vehicles
- 3 portable roadside units receiving and collecting data from C-ITS equipped vehicles.
Drivers in participating vehicles see the following messages:
- Intersection collision warning
- Harsh braking ahead warning
- Red light alert when light is red or amber
- Speed limit information.
More details can be found in our CITI Project fact sheets:
CITI has been expanded to include up to 50 light passenger vehicles. The study will investigate the potential safety benefits and user friendliness of the system.
Please contact the CITI team for more details.
Telephone: 1300 679 472
CITI was established with contributions from the Australian Government and CSIRO’s Data61.