Centre for Road Safety

Heavy vehicle drivers have licences classified as Light Rigid (LR), Medium Rigid (MR), Heavy Rigid (HR), Heavy Combination (HC), or Multi-Combination (MC).

70+ years

If you hold a multi-combination licence you will need to pass a practical driving test each year from age 70 onwards. Transport for NSW will send you a NSW Driver Licence Assessment form to take to your doctor to complete. You must do this before you turn 70 and before every birthday after that.

80+ years

If you hold a heavy vehicle licence you need to have a medical assessment and practical driver test every year. Both the medical assessment and driving test must be taken before you turn 80 and before every following birthday.

Changing your licence class

Heavy vehicle drivers (classes LR, MR, HR, HC or MC)  can choose to change their licence to a class C (car only) at any time and at no cost. You will need to visit a Service NSW centre to make the change.

More information

The Transport for NSW website has more details on getting a heavy vehicle licence, while the Are you fit to drive? section has information about the tests and standards used to ensure that all drivers are medically fit and competent to drive.