If you can’t stop using your mobile phone while driving, our tips can help you avoid breaking the law.
Make sure you know the rules about mobile phone use and watch our latest Get your hand off it message to understand the dangers of distraction.
Avoid using your mobile phone illegally when driving
- Use a mobile phone cradle fitted in your vehicle
- Get Bluetooth set up or installed in your vehicle
- Keep your phone out of reach – try the boot
- Just wait until you park – is it really that urgent?
- Put your phone on silent
- Get a passenger to answer your messages/calls
- Tell others not to call or text you when you’re driving
- Put your phone on flight mode
- Switch off some of your notifications
- Divert your calls to voicemail
- Pull over when and where it’s safe and legal to do so
Even if your phone is within reach, remember that you don’t have to know what’s happening or respond straight away. Nothing is so urgent that you should risk your life in a crash. Even if your attention is diverted for just a couple of seconds, you risk crashing, injuring yourself or others on the road.