Our Go Together campaign shows bicycle riders and other road users how to respect each other’s space and ensure that everyone stays safe.
Safe riding tips
- Always wear an approved bicycle helmet, properly fitted and fastened
- Always obey the road rules, including traffic lights, stop signs and give way signs
- Allow pedestrians a metre of space on shared paths, where possible.
- Ride in a predictable manner so that other road users do not have to react suddenly to your movements
- Give hand signals when changing lanes or turning left or right
- Make yourself visible by wearing bright, light or reflective clothing
- Plan your route using quieter streets, bicycle paths or shared paths
- Always be in control of your bike. It is an offence to ride with both hands off the handlebars, feet off the pedals or to carry anything that prevents you from having control.
Bike riders can find safety publications and guides on our Products page.