Road crash analysis
We collate and provide road crash statistics using data from NSW Health, the State Insurance Regulatory Authority (SIRA), icare (Insurance & Care NSW) and the NSW Police Force. Each day we process and edit road crash data to obtain information on deaths and serious injuries for every crash. We monitor and report fatal crashes in the:
- NSW Road Toll-Daily (PDF 56Kb)
- NSW Road Toll-Monthly (PDF 129Kb)
- NSW Heavy Truck Fatal Crashes (PDF 330Kb)
Our crash database, CrashLink, is used for road safety analysis and research work, strategic planning and policy development. Our road crash data is used by the public and organisations such as the Federal Bureau of Infrastructure; Transport and Regional Economics; NSW Police Force; NRMA Motoring & Services; Australian Bureau of Statistics; local governments; road safety researchers and community groups.
The NSW Road Toll Progress Report (PDF, 768Kb) shows preliminary provisional data as at 1 January 2022.
The NSW Road Traffic Casualty Crashes 2020 (PDF, 2.1Mb) provides a comprehensive statistical statement for the year ended 31 December 2020.
Reports and data
Our reports on road user injuries and deaths in NSW include:
- Interactive crash statistics with dynamic reports on road user deaths and injuries, locations and crash types
- Fatality trends that shows the number of road deaths per 100,000 population from 1908 onwards
- Serious injuries that shows the number of people hospitalised by crashes on NSW roads
- Reports and publications that you can download
How to use this information has details on how we define and record statistics.