With support from motorcycle groups and our other partners, we develop ways to improve safety for motorcycle riders. Some of these include:
- The Consumer Rating and Assessment of Safety Helmets CRASH website with detailed safety and comfort ratings of more than 100 helmets
- The MotoCAP website with product ratings to help choose the right jackets, pants and gloves for the best protection and comfort when your ride
- The Ride to Live website with hazard tests to check your responses to different risks, interactive maps of popular riding routes, and safe riding tips
- The Ride to Live campaign focusing on the risks that motorcyclists face on the road and how to best manage them
- Signs on popular scenic routes where motorcycle crashes are more frequent, including the Royal National Park, Putty Road and the Wollombi Loop north of Sydney
- Our sponsorship of Motorcycle Awareness Month.
Reduce risks for a safer ride
Motorcycle riders are more exposed and risk serious injuries if they are in a crash. Over the five-year period 2013 to 2017, 323 motorcyclists were killed and more than 13,200 hospitalised from injuries sustained in crashes on NSW roads.
- Know the rules on mobile phone use, with learner, P1 and P2 motorcyclists forbidden from using a mobile phone while riding
- Be aware that Motorcycle lane filtering laws apply in NSW
- Read our safe riding tips to help avoid hazards.
We work closely with motorcycle riders and groups including the: